People all around are busy preparing for Halloween which is on the 31st of October. Along with the decoration, one of the main concerns is what food to serve at the Halloween parties. This article will guide you to make the easy Mexican rice which would go along best and will be filling with the traditional Halloween food that includes candy and caramel apples; Pumpkin pie and apple bread. Mexican rice or Spanish rice is a side dish that is made from white rice, garlic, tomatoes, and Mexican sauces. A stir fry vegetable and Tacos or tortillas along with this rice dish is the best combination which is great for Halloween as well. Let us see some easy Mexican rice recipes.
A complete recipe for the basic Mexican rice for 4 servings
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups of water
- 1 small red onion
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 chopped jalapeno
- 3 tsp corn kernels
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
- 1 cup canned tomato(crushed or puree)
- 1.5 cup vegetable broth
salt and pepper to taste
Related article: Healthy meal prep ideas for weight loss – Know how to go about it
- Drain and keep the rice aside after Rinsing and soaking white rice in two cups of water for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Saute the red onion in olive oil on medium heat in a pan until golden brown.
- Add jalapenos and garlic to the pan and stir cook for a minute
- Add and mix corn kernels, cumin powder, and salt.
- Once the corn is cooked slightly, add the soaked rice to the same pan. Saute it for 2-3 minutes.
- In a low flame, add and mix tomatoes and vegetable broth.
- Cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes on low flame and then for another 10 minutes or till the rice is cooked on a medium flame
- Let the rice remain covered for 10 minutes after turning off the stove.
- You can further add lime juice according to your preference and garnish it with cilantro
- Voila! This easy side dish is ready to serve.
This easy and homemade Mexican rice has 507 calories. It further includes 102g of carbohydrates, 10g protein, and 6g fat. The recipe mentioned above is suitable for vegans as well.
Also read: Halloween Party Food Ideas
Variations to Mexican rice
1) BEANS MEXICAN RICE
This recipe is very easy to make and is perfect for beginners. It can be flavoured with vegetable broth, beans, tomato sauce, and garlic. Once prepared and you know what flavours you need, a new customized variation with vegetables can be tried. All you need to keep in mind is the basic, 2 parts of liquid per 1 part of rice which is done in 20minutes. Before adding the broth, you can add sauteed garlic and onions to make the rice absorb water, looser and fluffier.
2) SPICY MEXICAN RICE
Jalapenos to this type of Mexican rice is the perfect food for people who love spicy food. Oregano, chile sauce, garlic, and cumin are a must add to get the maximum flavour.