Every year we resolve to have better diet plans that would help us lead a healthier life. But eventually, we give up, since most of the diet plans are difficult to incorporate into our lifestyle. With the Mediterranean diet, it will be possible to maintain this food habit, as most of the recipes are simple and easy to follow.
There are several interestingly delicious and simple Mediterranean diet recipes that you can choose and include in your weekly meal plan. These Mediterranean foods are recommended by health professionals as they ensure good cardiovascular health, help reduce the chances of diabetes, and are effective for weight loss.
In this article, you will find several Mediterranean diet recipes that are easy to prepare and will help you lead a healthy lifestyle. But before we move on to the recipes, let us get to know a bit more about the Mediterranean diet and its benefits.
What is the Mediterranean Diet?
What distinguishes the Mediterranean diet from the other diet plan is its inclusivity. While a normal diet might occasionally feel a bit bland and you may sometimes have to compromise with the taste and flavor, the Mediterranean diet avoids such prohibitions. This is why this diet plan is healthy as well as appetizing. The Mediterranean diet recipes are more about balance and control, which keeps the focus on the consumption of essentially good food as a part of your regular diet.
Whether you are a vegan or a vegetarian or you consume animal protein, the Mediterranean diet plans can be modified according to your needs, making it more flexible and easy to follow. The rules are very simple:
- Consume more fruits, green and leafy vegetables, whole grains, dairy products which naturally contain low fat (Greek yogurt, ricotta), olive oil and other sources of healthy fats, nuts, herbs and spices, poultry products, different kinds of seafood, legumes, and wine too.
- Try to consume less red meat
- Try to avoid foods that contain added sugar (confectionaries, ice-cream, chocolates, and sodas), processed food items, white bread, and other refined grains.
These basic regulations sum up the philosophy behind the Mediterranean diet. The aim is to prepare sumptuous meals with essential ingredients, avoid an excess of added sugar or other elements that can be harmful to the body. With this diet plan, you can take care of your health without having to miss out on the taste.
Here is a list of simple Mediterranean diet recipes. Share these with the people you love and make your meal experiences more fulfilling than ever.
A list of healthy Mediterranean diet recipes.
These are some Med-inspired recipes that you might love. Go ahead and try these out.
1. Egg Caprese Breakfast Cups
- 2 thin slices of ham
- Provolone or shredded Mozzarella. You can also use a mixture of the two
- 2 eggs
- Homemade basil pesto sauce
- Cherry tomatoes cut into half slices
- Ground black pepper and Kosher salt
- Basil leaves for garnish (optional)
- Put the ham slices along the bottom and sides of a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the cheese inside.
- Crack open an egg inside the bowl.
- Pour in a dollop of the basil pesto sauce over the egg.
- Season a few slices of cherry tomato with the kosher salt and the ground pepper, and add them to the bowl.
- Put them in the microwave and cover them with a microwave plate. Cook the preparation on high for a minute and a half, or until the whites of the eggs are set.
- Use fresh basil leaves, kosher salt, and pepper for garnish.
2. Caprese Avocado Toast
- A slice of whole-wheat bread
- Half avocado, mashed or peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons of flaxseed oil
- Around 1/3 cup of cottage cheese (low-fat)
- A Campari or similar small tomato.
- Flaked sea salt
- Fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Toast the slices of bread.
- Drizzle the slices with flaxseed oil.
- Add cottage cheese, avocado, and tomato over the bread slices.
- Use basil leaves and flaked salt for garnish.
3. Asparagus and Mushroom Frittata
- Two eggs
- Two tablespoons of goat cheese
- A teaspoon of milk or water
- Kosher salt
- Three sliced brown mushrooms
- Five asparagus sliced into pieces which should be around half inches long
- A tablespoon of green onions chopped
- Preheat the toaster or the oven.
- Spread a tablespoon of butter on a non-stick frying pan (you can also use cooking spray) and heat it on medium heat.
- Cook the mushroom slices for three to four minutes then add the asparagus and cook for a few more minutes.
- Whisk the eggs by adding a tablespoon of milk or water to them. Whisk it until froth appears.
- Add the whisked eggs to the mushroom and asparagus mixture.
- Add the sliced onion and goat cheese.
- Let the eggs cook until their edges start pulling away from the edge of the frying pan.
- Distribute the uncooked egg all over the pan by lifting the edges of the egg whites gently, and moving the pan around gently.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and let it boil until the eggs are cooked.
- Remove the pan from the oven and cut it into slices. Sprinkle goat cheese for garnish.
4. Greek Chicken Gyro Salad
- Six cups Romaine lettuce chopped
- Eight ounces of Greek chicken breast marinade, sliced or chopped
- Fifteen ounces of garbanzo beans
- A cup of sliced cherry tomatoes
- A cup of sliced cucumber
- Half avocado chopped
- A quarter cup of Kalamata olives, sliced
- A quarter cup of sliced onions
- Two pita pockets
- Canola oil spray
- Extra virgin olive oil ¼ cup
- A quarter cup of red wine vinegar
- One clove of garlic peeled and minced
- Oregano 2 teaspoons
- A teaspoon of sugar
- Freshly ground black pepper and kosher salt. Half teaspoon each
- Tzatziki sauce used for sizzling
- Take the lettuce in a serving bowl and add on top of it the chicken slices, olives, sliced onions, avocados, tomatoes, cucumber, and garbanzo beans.
- Cut triangle pieces out of the pita bread and spray the bread with oil.
- Sprinkle paprika on the bread and toast until the pieces have become golden. Then sprinkle some kosher salt on it.
- Prepare the salad dressing by putting oregano, red wine vinegar, pepper, garlic, olive oil, sugar, and salt in a small jar. Put the lid on and shake the mixture until the flavors are evenly blended.
- Drizzle the salad with the dressing and the required amount of tzatziki sauce before serving.
As we can see from the recipes, these simple Mediterranean diets are very easy to prepare. The perks of including Mediterranean food in your meal plan are that you can take care of your health, keep a check on your weight without having to compromise with the taste of your food. We hope these popular Mediterranean diet recipes make consumption healthy and fun for you. Try these out, share them with your loved ones to ensure you have a happy and healthy year ahead.