One of the world’s favorite foods of all time, it would be very hard to replace peanut butter in every household. We use peanut butter for our pieces of bread, brownies, dessert, and many more foods. To explain more quickly, Peanut Butter refers to a spread or a paste that is made from dry-roasted peanuts. The taste of Peanut Butter can be sweet or salty depending on how it is made. In terms of exports, the United States of America is one of the leading countries to consume peanut butter per capita.
How to make Homemade Peanut Butter?
If you have been eating peanut butter for a while, you must be knowing that it is not a difficult task when it comes to making your own peanut butter. This a simple process that requires a few steps that must be strictly followed. One of the first things to have when making homemade peanut butter is to have a blender. The ideal peanut butter should be smooth and spreadable. In the beginning, you will notice that the entire mix that is in the blender might be a little crumbly, but this will change in about three to four minutes.
It is important to know more about the ingredients of a homemade peanut butter recipe. When working on peanut butter, the creamy texture makes the peanut butter even better. For that, a tad bit of honey, followed by a bit of salt can help do the job which can make the butter much smoother.
Ingredients for peanut butter
The ingredients peanut butter includes some dry roasted peanuts, which are unsalted and preferably organic, kosher salt, and a food processor or blender. In most cases, some people add more oils and sugar but a simple homemade peanut butter recipe includes only the above-mentioned ingredients.
Now, when you are using a blender, make sure you add around 16 ounces of dry roasted peanuts. After switching on the blender, wait for around two minutes till you will see that the roasted peanuts become into a thick paste inside. After this, adding salt is very important for the taste. In about two minutes you will notice, that the paste that was thick before is now smooth and spreadable. After this, make sure that you place the paste into a dry container and place it into the fridge. This is your DIY Peanut Butter recipe!
Important thing to keep in mind
Here are a few things to keep in mind when you make your own peanut butter.
- Using the right type of peanuts. – Different types of peanuts are available in the market. For peanut butter, you must choose dry roasted peanuts instead of raw peanuts. It is also advised that these peanuts are organic. It may not always be easy to find organic peanuts but they are preferred for better taste and more importantly better quality. In some cases, if you cannot find roasted peanuts, you can also roast them yourself and it is very easy. You can place the peanuts on a rimmed baking sheet and cook the peanuts for about minutes at 350-degree Fahrenheit.
- When you are adding kosher salt, add ¼ amounts and then taste it. If it seems to be tasteless, add a bit more and figure out the best taste for your recipe.
- When preparing the peanut butter, five minutes should be more than enough for the butter to be smooth.
Dishes with Peanut Butter
Now that you have successfully made homemade peanut butter, here are a few dishes you can make with it!
- Vegan Ice Cream – With two bananas in the processor and two tablespoons of your DIY peanut butter, you can have an incredibly delicious vegan ice cream.
- PB&J – With your homemade peanut butter, you can experiment more with PB&J and move from the traditional sandwich. PB&J cookies, brownies, s’mores are some of the delicious foods that you can make with peanut butter.
- Salads and Oatmeal – Through peanut butter, work towards having a healthier lifestyle and nutritious food schedule. By adding peanut butter to your salads, chickens, and oatmeal, your diet now gets more fiber, minerals, vitamins, and protein which are good for your health
- Popcorn and Noodles – A lady Sunday at home? Make yourself some popcorn and add your homemade peanut butter to have the perfect Sunday evening while you watch a movie.
Peanut Butter and Nutrition
It is not just the taste that makes peanut butter special. A lot of people may end up declaring that peanut butter might lead to one gaining weight. Actually, peanut butter helps in managing weight and not increasing it. It is seen that two tablespoons of peanut butter contain the following nutrients.
- Carbs – 7 grams
- Protein – 8 grams
- Vitamin B6 – 7% of the RDI
- Fiber – 3 grams
- Vitamin E – 10% of the RDI
- Vitamin B3 – also called niacin, which is 22% of the RDI
- Most of the calories of peanut butter come from unsaturated fats. When there are unsaturated fats in the diet instead of saturated fats, the body’s cholesterol levels fall, thus reducing the risk of a cardiac arrest.
- Another fact of peanut butter is its fiber intake. Even one spoon of peanut butter can increase the amount of fiber in your body which in turn, reduces the body mass index (BMI).
- Through Peanut butter, your appetite to eat also lessens which can help in controlling your body weight and also enhancing metabolism. One of the other facts about peanut butter is its protein content. Increase in protein curbs your appetite, which leads to eating less and helping in weight loss. Often during weight loss, the body muscles might get affected but eating more protein will help you maintain the muscle mass and your metabolism gets better.
- Even though Peanut Butter has high calories, it helps in reducing weight, unlike most foods. There are certain ways to eat peanut butter in a healthy manner that can help with weight control. Since Peanut Butter also helps in curbing the appetite, one can use peanut butter by adding it to their healthy diets, like salads and other foods. Even when you feel like indulging in junk food such as chips, popcorns, and other foods, adding peanut butter to it will give that tad bit of nutrients for your body. According to scientific research, Peanut Butter has dense calories that contain, fiber, protein, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants which are key for good health and a good diet.
Natural and organic
When it comes to eating peanut butter healthily, here’s where your homemade peanut butter recipe will do you wonders. Often commercially packed peanut butter includes unwanted oils and sugars. However, with your homemade peanut butter, all you need is roasted and preferably organic peanuts, some kosher salt, and you’re set! This way, not only is it easy to make peanut butter but you also get all the nutrients that you are looking for.
Even though it is not suggested that you eat peanut butter every day for all your meals, it is safe to say that it is a healthy and tasty spread that gives more nutrients to your body and helps in weight loss. As mentioned above, there are ways to eat peanut butter healthily and add them to your diet. More importantly, once you know how to make your own peanut butter, you can always prepare it within 5-7 minutes and enjoy your meal. So, get your peanuts, kosher salt, and food processor and prepare that peanut butter!